WHAT IS ORANGE YOUR ICON ADVOCACY INITIATIVE?
Now on its third year in the Philippines, the ORANGE YOUR ICON FOR 18 DAYS ADVOCACY INTITATIVE aims to strengthen the anti-VAW advocacy by enjoining new audiences to join the cause to end VAW.
The idea is to attract the public’s curiosity on why major landmarks or icons nationwide are colored orange, thereby providing opportunities for advocates to explain the Anti-VAW advocacy.
By participating in this initiative, government offices and private organizations are declaring their support to the anti-VAW advocacy and zero-tolerance for VAW to the public’s attention.
As a bright and optimistic color, orange represents hope and a future free from violence against women and girls.
HOW CAN YOUR ORGANIZATION PARTICIPATE?
- Find major landmarks or icons in your area or community. Your icon can be historical places, statues, monuments or buildings.
- Talk to heads of your agency, local government, corporate heads or building administrators to get support and ensure that they are willing to join this global activity for a cause.
- Put orange decorations on your chosen icon. You can use flags, streamers or banners. You can even paint your landmark into orange if possible or use orange spotlights during the night! Be creative!
- Orange Your Icon banner, which can be in printed in tarpaulin or sintra board, shall be displayed where the icon is located throughout the campaign period. The design and specifications can be downloaded here https://tinyurl.com/OrangeYourIcon2017
- Participating agencies, local government units and private organizations may develop information, education and communication (IEC) materials related to the 18-Day Campaign to End VAW that can be given out or made visible to people visiting the area. You may also download and reproduce PCW-developed IEC materials via this link https://tinyurl.com/Anti-VAW-IEC
- We’d love to know how you ORANGEd YOUR ICON for 18 Days! Upload photos, videos and reports featuring your oranged icons and other 18-Day Campaign to End VAW activities to your official websites for everyone to know that you are part of this global campaign. Do not forget to use the official hashtag for this year’s campaign #VAWfreePH. Please send us a link to your site to email@example.com so we can check them out! Creative “orange” photos and relevant campaign activities will be featured in the PCW website and social media accounts.